History of Addenbrooke's and the Rosie
Addenbrooke's was one of the first provincial, voluntary hospitals in Britain and as such has a long and important history. It opened in 1766 in Trumpington Street, Cambridge. Dr John Addenbrooke left just over £4500 in his will "to hire and fit up, purchase or erect a small, physical hospital in the town of Cambridge for poor people".
Addenbrooke's grew rapidly during the 19th and early 20th centuries, as medical science developed. By the 1950s, the hospital was having difficulty accommodating the expansion generated by the introduction of the National Health Service.
In 1959, building began on a new 66-acre site south of Cambridge, and the first phase of the Hospital was opened by Her Majesty the Queen in May 1962.
In 1993, Addenbrooke's, Fulbourn, the Rosie and their associated community services combined to form the Addenbrooke's NHS Trust.
In 2004, Addenbrooke's became one of the first NHS Foundation Trusts which is today know as Cambridge University Hospitals Foundation Trust.
The Rosie Maternity Hospital is Cambridge's first purpose-built maternity hospital and was opened on Addenbrooke's Hospital's Hills Road site in October 1983, as the successor to Mill Road Maternity Hospital.
Established with a significant benefaction from local philanthropist David Robinson, it was named after his mother.
The records for the hospital are held in the Rosie.