Open out scheme

Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS)

For reporting hate crimes


Co-ordinated by Cambridgeshire Constabulary Addenbrooke's PALS/Information Centre is an official Reporting Centre for homophobic and racial hate crimes under the Open Out Scheme.


If you have been subjected to a racist or homophobic incident, you might be feeling helpless, distressed, angry or frightened.


You can do nothing about it or take action.


The Cambridge Open Out Scheme is a partnership between:

  • Cambridgeshire Constabulary
  • Cambridge Racial Incident Support Project (CRISP)
  • East Cambridgeshire Community Safety Partnership
  • Cambridge City Council

> Cambridgeshire Constabulary

> Cambridge Racial Incident Support Project (CRISP)

> East Cambridgeshire Community Safety Partnership


Frequently asked questions


Who can use the Reporting Centre?

Anyone can use the Reporting Centre. You do not have to a member of staff or a patient. It might just be the nearest place for you to seek help and advice.


Why should I take action?

Hate crimes are unacceptable and need to be reported so we know how many are taking place and why and to stop them happening again to you or to someone else.


How can I report hate crimes?

You can report hate crimes to the Police directly or you can go to a Reporting Centre, such as the Information Centre at Addenbrooke's.


What are Reporting Centres?

These are designated community buildings and familiar organisations, such as Addenbrooke's Hospital, where you can fill out a Hate Crime Incident Form in confidence. We have trained staff and a sympathetic ear.


What will happen at Addenbrooke's Reporting Centre?

Drop into the Information Centre or phone us. We will give you further information and a Hate Crime Incident Form to fill in. Once you have read through the information and filled the form in, you can give the completed form to a trained person at the Reporting Centre. They will then send it through to the Cambridge Open Out Scheme.


What happens next?

The Cambridge Open Out Scheme assesses your incident and consults with other involved agencies such as the Council, health service, the Police, Probation etc for further enquiries. They will then contact you, deal with the incident and give help where necessary.


Can I just report the incident and wish to have nothing else done?

Yes, you can just report the incident and request to have nothing else done. This information is still useful for statistical reasons. However, if the scheme members consider the incident too serious for recording purposes only then, with your knowledge, it might be necessary to refer the incident to an appropriate Cambridge Open Out Scheme agency. The information supplied with your form will explain this in more detail.


Back to top





Contact Patient Advice & Liaison Service

Tel: 01223 216 756


From bedside Hospedia: *801


Fax: 01223 256 170

Please note that we can accept your correspondence by email but we cannot respond with any clinical information – this has to be done by hard copy letter.


Opening hours:

Mon - Fri: 09:00 to 17:00


Saturday: 13:00 to 16:00


Sunday: 13:00 to 16:00

Out of hours:

If you have an urgent issue that you need to discuss outside of these opening hours please call the hospital Contact Centre:


Tel: 01223 245 151

Please ask for the on call manager.